Sunday, January 30, 2005

 

Going "Fishing" for students

It's hitting me that teaching Learn to Skate to gain private students
is like GOING FISHING.

We all get to go to this "big skating school fishpond." If we get a
particular good pond full of lots of "fish" or several good "little
ponds," there is a chance we might catch a really GOOD FISH (a good
private student).

Now, my opinion: The problem is that more and more "fisherman" are
"fishing" these days. Even if there are enough students to go around,
sometimes the only the most aggressive "fisherman" (coaches) seem to get any "fishes" (students) these days.

There has to be new ways for those of us who love teaching (and also
need to make money) to develop AND KEEP a clientele. Rinks do try to help with referals, but there has to be other ways to keep us all in business.

Now for some humor:

Imagine if you went fishing and catch a really good fish. Then you
find out that the fish you just caught really belonged to another
fisherman since he caught the same fish a week earlier. It turns out
you have "solicted" his fish away and you apologize. You see, THAT
FISH IS OFF LIMITS; you have to try to catch another fish and none of
the other fish want to be caught by you.

Happy Coaching!


Comments:
This is my biggest weakness. I was heart-broken the other day when I realized one of my group-lesson students, who I really like and enjoy teaching, was now someone else's private student.

I had lightly told the parents a year ago that I would love to teach her daughter when they were interested in privates since I loved having her in group. The other coach had simply told the parents that the child was NOW ready for privates and suggested starting out with a few lessons. I lost the opportunity with my soft-sell approach or maybe I just don't have a reputation for privates since I don't have a lot of private students. There's a catch-22 situation.

The rink manager sends me little beginners, but once Spring comes, I never see them again. The only freestyle-level student I picked up was one no one else wanted to teach.

I need a plan to reach out for students and keep them. Any suggestions?
 
I have the same problem! I am getting so discouraged.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?